Talent, meet opportunity
Push the edge of impossible
Our Smashing Values
The Business of Fun
Got the Chops?
Our clients, who become extensions of our teams, are change agents themselves. Some are in the early stages of digital transformation, while others have established practices. Regardless of their stage, we serve as their catalyst for innovation.
We are seeking a passionate, experienced design leader with a deep understanding of human centered design to promote design innovation with a wide range of projects and clients. As the Head of Design, you will provide a multidisciplinary, holistic perspective and guide your teams in translating business goals and customer needs into compelling, elegant, and engaging experiences.
This role requires 10+ years of experience working in the digital product design space.
Lead the Design Team
- Grow and manage a successful and profitable design practice for the company while inspiring people to do their best work
- In partnership with Offering Leadership, evolve the organizations’ digital product design and develop offering, and evangelize its value through internal and external channels
- Manage, mentor, and grow a team of 10+ highly talented designers with an eye on scaling the exceptional quality we strive for at Smashing Ideas
- Identify areas of opportunity for our design practice, including potential services, capabilities, or critical investments
- Manage staffing plans to balance individual interests with project outcomes, team chemistry, client constraints, and KPIs
- Model the behavior that demonstrates our values: Create with Heart, Keep It Real, Paddle Out, Raise the Fun Flag, Ride-or-Die, and Stay Curious
- Guide, nurture, and manage direct reports, and be a mentor and advocate for the success of the Design team at large
- Evolve the Design team’s philosophies, methodologies, processes, techniques and tools, and evangelize them throughout the practice
- Be involved in the local design community through meetups or design and networking events, and engage with outside talent to promote Smashing Ideas’ work and culture
Executive-level Strategic Design Direction for Clients
- Plan and choreograph workshops, design activities and deliverables for projects and proposals. This may include creative briefs, journey maps, personas and archetypes, design concepts and explorations, visual mood boards, flows, wireframes, prototypes (low-medium-high fidelity), visual comps and assets, and design language systems
- Facilitate the collaborative creation of the project vision, and use the vision as a guiding tool to ensure alignment and excellence
- Partner with strategy, research, development, and program management leads to ensure solutions are on schedule and deliver real value (including fiscal, experience, and brand value) to users, clients, and Smashing Ideas/Luxoft
- Inspire and support designers to create world-class, innovative designs across all facets including UX, information architecture, interaction, motion, animation and UI
- Be a player-coach: Be an individual contributor as needed to cover, strengthen, and inspire teams to do their best work in any facet of a project, including design research, workshops, ideation, interaction, UX/UI, prototyping, usability testing, asset production, and delivery
- Partner with key client stakeholders to ensure their engagement, contribution, and success
Business Development and Thought Leadership
- Drive internal awareness of design trends and emerging technologies to ensure the creation of relevant and future-forward solutions
- Personally generate, and guide others to generate, thought leadership content that demonstrates our capabilities and value to current and potential clients
- Serve as a partner to Business Development and Marketing, identifying insights and unique perspectives on the market that will help generate new leads
- Collaborate on RFP responses and proposals, providing SME-level input and content as part of a response
- Where possible, create ways to scale our thought leadership and business development activities
Smashing Leadership Team
Collaborate with other members of the Smashing Leadership Team to:
- Identify, prioritize, and create (or refine) competencies designed to mature and grow Smashing capabilities and offerings
- Establish and represent Smashing standards for work and culture
- Teach and mentor cross-functional staff on relevant design practices
- Represent the interests of Smashing capabilities and offerings within our parent organizations, Luxoft and DXC
Does this sound like you?
- 10+ years of design experience, preferably in an agency or client services environment
- 5+ years managing creative/design teams, including staff planning, hiring, and performance management
- A portfolio that demonstrates your expertise in creating stellar digital products and services
- A passion for ideation, exploration and problem-solving
- A human-centered design approach to user engagement
- Ability to clearly communicate and articulate design intent and rationale with compelling reasoning and research
- Effectively present work to clients, internal teams, and executives for review and feedback
- Strong written communication skills, as it pertains to behavioral archetypes, experience narratives, directional copy, and other related artifacts
- A willingness to motivate employees to excel in their own way
- An awareness that their own beliefs and filters, as well as that of others, can be limiting and a willingness to challenge assumptions
- Seeks critique of work and ideas as opportunities for improvement
- Sees the big picture and sweats the details.
- Desire to develop bi-directional, inspirational relationships with clients and teammates
- BFA or BA in Design, related field or equivalent professional experience
- Project or account management experience a plus
* Smashing Ideas is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender presentation, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are committed to hiring and cultivating a diverse team and inclusive environment.
Our clients, who are partners and extensions of our teams, are change agents themselves. Some are in the early stages of digital transformation, while others have established practices. Regardless of the stage, we serve as their catalyst for innovation.
As a Senior Strategist at Smashing Ideas, you are a critical component of a cross-functional team responsible for guiding the strategic, creative, technical, and business decisions that will increase customer engagement and achieve client objectives. The Senior Strategist leads with both the left- and right-side of their brain. They unearth and expose the core insight – the human truth that becomes our north star – and keeps the vision alive and focused through user research, data, and a strong eye on the market and competition.
This position would be a great fit for someone who knows how to work with diverse groups of stakeholders, and has experience, formally or informally, informing and inspiring clients or colleagues to make decisions and get to tangible outcomes.
A Senior Strategist is responsible for driving 3 areas of strategic thinking and experience planning:
1. Problem Definition & Strategic Approach
- Collaborate with clients to understand and communicate in-depth knowledge of a business environment, including:
– General business processes
– Target audiences/customer attributes
– Organizational “pain”
– Strategy and competitive positioning
– Organizational readiness for implementing connected, engaging solutions
- Work with clients to define and prioritize their business challenges, goals and opportunities. Outline strategic approach for team to achieve objectives.
- Define critical metrics and how they will be measured. Keep team focused on these critical metrics
- Provide team and client with additional marketplace, vertical and competitive insights.
- Drive formulation of insights-based hypotheses for ways to approach a given project
2. Holistic Market and User Insights
- Collaborate with client to identify, understand and communicate existing research
- Lead gap analysis to understand and recommend additional research (if needed)
- Recommend and estimate additional research, workshops, or other “add-on” activities for clients to improve product experience
- Rapidly conduct secondary research, including industry research, market scan, and competitive research
- Design and conduct primary user research, including interviews, concept testing, and surveys
- Analyze and synthesize findings from multiple inputs and produce actionable insights
- With UX architect, feed customer behavior insights and design insights into the team
- Identify the driving needs and motivations of target audiences to create strong value propositions
3. Experience Strategy
Help clients focus on the why and align on a long-term vision that drives shared value and trust, including:
- Plan and co-facilitate envisioning workshops to help organizations define and align on their vision against tangible outcomes
- With cross-functional team, define an actionable roadmap to realize the vision
- Create compelling documents that summarize the vision and plan, and inspire executive buy-in
- In partnership with Design, deliver insight-based experience map for target personas against business objectives
- Expertly analyze data and make recommendations for product improvements/refinements and identify opportunities to create new value for customers
- Proven experience identifying a core insight that delivered a big idea
- Experience in a lead, client-facing role for a large customer
- Ability to present confidently and persuasively to large and small groups of executive-level clients
- Ability to write compelling narratives demonstrating strong thought leadership
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and tackle complex business challenges
- Experience leading multiple forms of customer research – survey, contextual, ethnographic, analytics, as examples
- Experience crafting insight-based creative briefs driven by an empathetic understanding of user and market needs
- Experience synthesizing secondary data sources to create a cohesive narrative
- Demonstrated ability to actively listen, facilitate collaboration, and align teams with diverse perspectives
- Passionate about consuming applicable business, consumer, and cultural information
- Collaborative work style, with a bias toward action
- Willingness to identify and challenge biases
- A sense of humor
Nice to have Skills:
- Content strategy
- Business design
- Communication strategy
- Data & analytics
* We are committed to hiring and cultivating a diverse team and inclusive environment. Smashing Ideas is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender presentation, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
** This is an onsite position in our beautiful Seattle, WA office. This is not a Telecommute/Remote Work position
Smashing Ideas is seeking an experienced Senior Web Developer with a real passion for crafting efficient, maintainable full stack web applications. We take pride in the things we build, and hope you do too. You will work in hybrid teams featuring folks with a vast variety of skills and specialties, from app and service developers, to UX researchers, content strategists, and visual designers.
We want to hear from you if:
- Your interests run from the very top of the stack all the way down to the sub-sub-basement.
- You love expressing ideas as prototypes and experiments.
- You know how to learn, and are passionate about learning new things.
- You care, earnestly, about the people using your code, from fellow and future developers to customers of customers.
- You have and can express your opinions, but are always willing to hear out others and incorporate new information and viewpoints.
- You are kind and empathetic, and value those traits in others.
- You’ve been doing this long enough (likely 5+ years) to appreciate the difficulty in getting to a 1.0 release (hopefully with a few stories to share).
- You enjoy sharing what you know, and learning from others.
On any given day, you’ll find yourself:
- Interacting with clients and peers to understand their needs and arrive at meaningful solutions.
- Designing, evaluating, and documenting robust frontend web client applications and backend services that provide the technical backbone of our efforts and products.
- Authoring well-reasoned, well-tested code emphasizing data-backed APIs, infrastructure automation, and service reliability.
- Auditing existing code and processes for security vulnerabilities, reliability, and efficiency.
The skills you already have include at least five years of professional experience with:
- Component-based architecture with React or Angular
- Browser-centric tooling like Sass, Browserify, Webpack, etc
- Backend web development in any language (Node.js, Python, Ruby, PHP, etc)
- Building and consuming HTTP-based APIs and web services
- Database design and management with SQL, NoSQL, etc
- Version control with git
It would be great if you have experience with:
- C# and .Net
- Authentication with SAML, OAuth, OIDC, etc
- Serverless architecture
- Web workers and progressive web apps
We’re looking for a motivated Senior QA Engineer to join our team. This role is responsible for testing and analysis of simulation software and Windows desktop applications to ensure quality standards and adherence to functional requirements through manual and automated testing. Working closely with a project team, the Senior QA Engineer is responsible for identifying defects and risks as well as assisting the development team in preventing or resolving quality issues.
- Work with QA documentation, including test plans and test cases.
- Perform functional, performance and content testing and analysis of applications.
- Write, isolate and regress technical and content related issues
- Assist with user and acceptance testing.
- Contribute to continuing improvement of QA department processes, tools and standards
- 5+ years’ experience in QA
- Experience in testing Windows Desktop applications
- Experience in working with product documentation provided in multiple sources (test cases, requirements, manuals) in order to test the product
- Ability to rapidly identify and document technical issues
- Able to work independently or in small teams effectively.
- Ability to handle shifting schedules and multiple projects with flexible hours.
- Demonstrable understanding of test plan and test case creation
- Understanding of regression and exploratory testing
- Experience with test management systems, issue tracking systems (JIRA), Git, Build management (Jenkins) and profiling tools.
- Experience in interpreting wireframes, design comps and functional requirements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong sense of responsibility
- Experience in testing iOS applications.
- Experience with test automation tools (Unium preferred)
- Experience with agile development methodologies.
- Experience isolating issues through logs, analysis tools and code reviews.
- Collaborator: Ultimately you will become part of a team and build a positive relationship with both coworkers and clients to facilitate better communication.
- Detail-oriented: You will be responsible for many small aspects of projects large and small. A desire to thoroughly understand a project quickly is key.
- Proactive & Organized: You see what needs to be done, and you are on it. You know what stage each of your projects is in and communicate regularly with all team members to ensure each project receives the attention it needs.
- Tenacious: Success depends on rooting out the source of defects and finding the right answer, not necessarily the most obvious possibility. Do you habitually dig deep to find answers?
- Adaptive: Able to pick up and use newly introduced tools and technologies and respond to the needs of the problem in front of you.
- Communicative: You will be responsible for relaying a great deal of information. Being able to convey ideas in their simplest form as accurately as possible is essential